Meet the AViD Author – Paul Kix
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Paul Kix | You Have To Be Prepared To Die Before You Can Begin To Live
@ Central Library
This event will also be streamed live on Zoom. More information to come.
Author and journalist Paul Kix’s work has appeared in The New Yorker, GQ, ESPN, The Wall Street Journal and more. His first book, The Saboteur, was a nonfiction bestseller about the amazing thrilling true-life story of Robert de La Rochefoucauld, a member of the French aristocracy who became a resistance fighter during World War II. The 2023 film, The Accidental Getaway Driver, is based on Kix’s thrilling 2017 feature article for GQ about a man abducted by three prison escapees.
His newest book, You Have to Be Prepared to Die Before You Can Begin to Live, will be released May 2. The deeply researched book takes readers, in ways never explored before, behind the scenes of the momentous 1963 Birmingham Campaign – 10 weeks that shaped the course of the Civil Rights Movement and the future of America. In a starred review, Publisher’s Weekly said of the book: “Kix makes a persuasive case that Birmingham saved a floundering organization and galvanized the Kennedy administration to commit to civil rights. Readers will be riveted from the first page to the last.”
Kix grew up on a farm in Iowa, graduated from Iowa State University, and now lives in Connecticut with his wife and three children.
- Admission is free.
- Doors open at 6:00 PM.
- Seating is first-come, first-served.
- Free parking is available:
- In the Des Moines Public Library parking garage, located on Grand Ave.
- On the surface lot on the corner of 10th St. and Grand Ave., across from the library.
- At the end of the program, there will be a question and answer period. A book signing will follow.
- Books will be available to purchase before and after the program courtesy of Beaverdale Books.
- You Have to Be Prepared to Die Before You Can Begin to Live: Ten Weeks in Birmingham that Changed America (2023)
- The Saboteur: The Aristocrat Who Became France’s Most Daring Anti-Nazi Commando (2017)
Paul on the Web
- Publisher’s Weekly starred review of You Have to Be Prepared to Die Before You Can Begin to Live
- New York Times review of The Saboteur
- USA Today review of The Saboteur
This event is hosted by the Des Moines Public Library as part of its annual AViD (Authors Visiting in Des Moines) Author Series.